Home   News   Article

Frustration after work to implement HGV weight limit on Lavenham street misses deadline




LAVENHAM..Water Street, Lavenham..Calls for a vehicle weight restriction to be introduced at Water Street in Lavenham have increased, after a property was recently damaged by a HGV...Picture Mark Westley. (3868123)
LAVENHAM..Water Street, Lavenham..Calls for a vehicle weight restriction to be introduced at Water Street in Lavenham have increased, after a property was recently damaged by a HGV...Picture Mark Westley. (3868123)

Promised roadworks to implement a weight restriction on a Lavenham street appear set to miss their latest deadline, resulting in accusations that residents’ concerns are not being addressed.

Villagers have been waiting for a HGV weight limit to be introduced in Water Street, which has seen properties damaged in recent years, due to large vehicles frequently trying to use the narrow lane as a shortcut.

Back in June, a spokeswoman for Suffolk County Council said that an experimental traffic regulation order would be made by late July, enabling works, which would include the installation of road markings and traffic islands, to be carried out by mid to late August.

But this week, parish councillors told the Free Press that, with August almost over, no such work has been carried out, stating they have not received any communication from Suffolk Highways about the status of the work.

The missed deadline has drawn criticism and frustration in the village, which had previously been promised the work would be completed by April 30.

Carroll Reeve, chairman of Lavenham Parish Council, said: “Words fail me to describe the activities of Suffolk Highways.

“Basically, nothing has happened. There has been no communication. They seem to be in a bubble of their own, unable to appreciate the concerns of residents and the people who are affected. They seem to be in splendid isolation.

“This has been going on for years. I have lost count of the number of deadlines that have been missed.”

Robert Lindsay, county councillor for Lavenham, added: “This is about the fourth false date residents have been given.

“How can we have trust in the highways authority if they don’t keep us informed?”

Suffolk County Council has been contacted for comment on the matter.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More