Home   News   Article

Fire no show due to human error

Fire and Rescue news.
Fire and Rescue news.

The mechanical failure which meant Sudbury’s second fire engine was unable to attend a house fire in Great Cornard last week has been blamed on human error.

The house fire in Raydon Way on January 5, was attended by a crew from Sudbury as well as two appliances from Halstead.

However Sudbury’s second engine was unable to attend due to a flat battery.

A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said this was due to human error.

“Fire engines are plugged into a battery charger every time they are left at the station. This type of mechanical defect is very rare and a fire service mechanic immediately visited the fire station to look into the cause.

“The investigation found that the charging facility is working correctly and there is no mechanical fault on the fire engine – we have therefore concluded that the most likely cause was the charging lead not being plugged into the fire engine after it was last used and the battery running flat as a result.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More