Father-of-four’s battle to stay in country

LET ME STAY: Darryl Noe with wife Karla and two of his daughters, Scarlet and Summer.
LET ME STAY: Darryl Noe with wife Karla and two of his daughters, Scarlet and Summer.

A Long Melford man may be forced to leave the country after paperwork proving his right to stay in the UK went missing.

Darryl Noe, 34, from Cordell Place, moved to the region from the USA in 1981 when he was adopted by his grandparents at the age of two.

He claims he was granted the legal right to live in the UK two years later and has worked here all his life until four years ago when he decided to apply to become a security guard in Sudbury and underwent background checks.

Mr Noe said: “The Home Office got back to the Security Industry Authority saying they had no record of me.”

Having been left unable to work, social workers from Suffolk County Council looked into Mr Noe’s circumstances recently.

“They got in touch with the Home Office, who spoke with the UK Border Agency. The social worker said that an email she received said that, at any time, they could come and take me away.”

Mr Noe, who lives with his wife Karla and four children, said that while the Home Office had told him this would not happen, their records stated he had arrived on a visitor’s visa and stayed ever since.

He added that he had been in contact with the solicitor who represented his grandparents when he first arrived in the UK, and has located evidence of the Home Office’s decision.

“The letter I have says ‘Attached to this letter is the letter from the Home Office’ but that was sent away four years ago to prove I’m allowed to work here,” said Mr Noe.

“The Home Office said it never got it, so it may have been lost in the mail.”

A spokesman for the UK Border Agency said: “We have no record of an Indefinite Leave to Remain application being made by, or on behalf of, Mr Noe and no documents have been lost by us.

“Mr Noe, who remains a US citizen, therefore needs to make an application to regularise his stay in the country and can contact our helpline for advice.”

He said no action will be taken while the application is considered. A Suffolk County Council spokeswoman said it was working with the Home Office and UK Border Agency to resolve the situation.