Factory worker died from asbestos-related disease
A former employee at a Long Melford factory died as a result of exposure of asbestos dust, an inquest has concluded.
Christopher Gaw, 74, had worked at Bush, Boake and Allen, previously known as Stafford, Allen and Sons, in a variety of roles.
Today (Monday) the inquest at Bury St Edmunds heard that Mr Gaw, of High Street, Long Melford, had started working for the company in north London before moving to Suffolk.
In a statement he made before his death on August 31, Mr Gaw described how he had been in close proximity to clouds of asbestos dust during maintenance and cleaning work.
During one task when he helped to chip scale from inside pipes, asbestos with which the pipes were lagged was disturbed. Mr Gaw said: “It hung in the air like a fair mist.”
In his statement, Mr Gaw said symptoms of his condition began in February last year when he suffered severe pain after sneezing. He was diagnosed with the asbestos-related condition mesothelioma a month later.
Assistant Suffolk Coroner Nigel Parsley recorded a conclusion that Mr Gaw died as a result of an industrial disease.