Eviction order to be served on illegal traveller encampment in Sudbury
An eviction order is expected to be served this week on an illegal traveller encampment, which suddenly appeared in a residential area in Sudbury last week.
A small camp was set up on green space close to properties in Clermont Avenue on Wednesday, at approximately 6pm.
Sudbury Town Council's community wardens held a case conference with local authorities and the traveller liaison officer on Friday to try and resolve the matter, in accordance with Suffolk County Council protocols for unauthorised and unlawful encampments.
Community warden Bradley Smith told the Free Press that when he initially visited the camp on Thursday, he was told by the camp's occupants that they only intended to stay until Saturday, but he confirmed that they remain on site as of this morning.
It has now been decided that a Section 77 eviction order will be served, potentially as early as this afternoon, notifying the occupants that they must vacate the land.
Should they fail to comply within a timely manner, authorities will be permitted to enforce the order by forcible removal.