HOMEOWNERS are being urged to check the condition of their chimneys to avoid fires.
The warning, issued by Suffolk Fire and Rescue, comes after a chimney fire at a cottage in Edwardstone earlier this week.
Firefighters from Sudbury fire station were called to the blaze at around 5.20am on Monday and were forced to use cutting equipment in order to gain access to a fire behind brickwork.
The blaze was put out shortly after 6am.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: “Members of the public are encouraged to ensure that chimneys are swept and the brickwork inspected at least once a year.
“This will help to prevent a chimney fire.”