Home   News   Article

Campaigners raise major safety concerns over plans for ten-fold increase in HGV volume at Hadleigh quarry site




Plans to increase the volume of lorries accessing a quarry in Hadleigh have prompted a campaigner to raise major safety concerns over its impact on the surrounding area.

A planning application seeking permission to amend a series of previously approved conditions, which would see the daily volume of HGVs on the site increase by ten-fold, has been submitted by J T Few Plant Hire Ltd.

The company was previously granted permission to install a group of silt lagoons with a wash plant at Peyton Hall Farm in 2018, on the provision that it restricted the total daily movements of HGVs on the site to eight vehicles.

HADLEIGH..Hadleigh Quarry, Peyton Hall Farm, Hadleigh..Alan Shepherd is launching a petition against a planning application to build new facilities at Hadleigh Quarry. ..Picture Mark Westley. (24015546)
HADLEIGH..Hadleigh Quarry, Peyton Hall Farm, Hadleigh..Alan Shepherd is launching a petition against a planning application to build new facilities at Hadleigh Quarry. ..Picture Mark Westley. (24015546)

To fulfil future demand, the company is proposing to increase its current daily volume from eight to 80 vehicles.

A planning statement issued on behalf of J T Few Plant Ltd said: “The effect of this volume of HGV traffic along Aldham Mill Hill would have no significant impact on either the capacity, or road safety, of the road itself, or the junction with the A1071 Ipswich Road.”

Ray Austin, who is a member of The Aldham Tye and Ivy Tree Lane Residents’ Group, voiced fears over the safety implications additional vehicles would pose to the road network.

“It’s already a hazard,” he said. “We have had near misses with cars coming out of the quarry on the A1071; luckily, there haven’t been any accidents, but it’s just waiting to happen.”

Mr Austin, whose house is situated at a key junction close to the site between Aldham Mill Hill and the A1071, highlighted the importance of widening the roads before any plans could be considered.

“It has to be safe, and it has to be something that is a sustainable solution,” said the 75-year-old.

In a transport statement submitted by Suffolk County Council’s planning officer, recommendations have been made to expand the width of the roads to 6.7 metres, with designated spaces to ensure vehicles can pass safely at the junction.

The planning application is expected to be determined by Babergh District Council on Tuesday, February 4.


Read more

More by this author



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More