Home   News   Article

Bures family commends teenage boy for bravery after rescuing dog from house fire


By Priya Kingsley-Adam


A teenage boy has been commended for his bravery after risking his life to rescue a woman’s beloved pet dog from a blaze at her home.

Roberta Moore White and her young family were left homeless following the incident in Beaumont Close, Bures, last month.

After returning home with her two-year-old son, Axl, Mrs Moore White discovered a fire in her kitchen.

Beaumont Close, Bures.Roberta Moore White from Bures has commended the bravery of a young boy who rescued her pet dog in a house fire..Fred Winch, 15, rescued Roberta Moore White's staffordshire golden retriever from her bathroom upstairs..Picture: Roberta with Fred outside her home with her children Ted 5 and Axl 2 and buddy staf golden retriever and Peggy chalky. Picture by Mark Westley. (13613178)
Beaumont Close, Bures.Roberta Moore White from Bures has commended the bravery of a young boy who rescued her pet dog in a house fire..Fred Winch, 15, rescued Roberta Moore White's staffordshire golden retriever from her bathroom upstairs..Picture: Roberta with Fred outside her home with her children Ted 5 and Axl 2 and buddy staf golden retriever and Peggy chalky. Picture by Mark Westley. (13613178)

“I saw fire coming out of my washing machine,” said the 26-year-old, who had left the appliance on for a short time while she took her other son, five-year-old Edward, to school.

With her youngest son safe in her arms, she picked up her puppy, Peggy, before fleeing the property.

Alerted by the incident, neighbours came to her aid and called the fire service.

Relieved that her youngest son was safe, Mrs Moore White’s attention turned to the remaining pets left inside the house.

“All I could think about was saving my other dog and cats,” she said.

Mrs Moore White then spotted family friend Fred Winch walking past the house, and told the teenager that her dog, Buddy, had been left in the bathroom.

Without hesitation, the 15-year-old ran upstairs and rescued the dog, a Staffordshire terrier and golden retriever cross, before carrying the dog outside.

Mrs Moore White was so appreciative of Fred’s selflessness and feels indebted to the teenager, who is a pupil at Thomas Gainsborough School in Great Cornard.

“I don’t think there’s a way I can thank him for that,” she said. “I was so overwhelmed by everything – it was a lot to take in.”

With hindsight, the mother-of-two recognised the dangers of allowing Fred to enter the house before the fire service had arrived.

“I wasn’t thinking of the consequences,” she said. “I was so scared and shocked.”

Following the incident, the family were provided with temporary accommodation, before moving in with a family friend.

The incident, which is being investigated, has had a big impact on the children, who are keen to return home.

“We are trying to get them into a routine, but, because they’re in a different place, it’s been difficult,” said Mrs Moore White, who hopes to be able to return home later in the year.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More