Home   News   Article

Back-to-back defeats for AFC Sudbury

Mark Westley Photography'AFC Sudbury V Bognor Regis Town.'Marcus Garnham ANL-140511-084734009
Mark Westley Photography'AFC Sudbury V Bognor Regis Town.'Marcus Garnham ANL-140511-084734009


Third-placed Wroxham scored a goal in each half to inflict back-to-back defeats on AFC Sudbury in the wind and rain on Tuesday.

This was only a second defeat for Sudbury in 16 games, the result making it a disappointing return for manager David Batch, previously in charge at Trafford Park before his move to Suffolk.

There was little between the teams in terms of possession, but the hosts proved far more clinical in front of goal, and — but for another fine game by goalkeeper Marcus Garnham — the margin of defeat would have been greater.

Batch made three changes from the side that started the previous game. Kris Newby returned from a one-game ban, while Lee Flynn and Scott Kemp were also back.

Sudbury had a strong wind at their backs in the first half and they started well with two chances falling to Newby, but both were off target.

Wroxham broke the deadlock after 12 minutes with a swift counter-attack when Remi Gordon broke down the right and his cross found Christy Finch, who fired past Garnham with ease.

Two minutes later, a carbon copy move almost brought goal number two, but former Sudbury player Jamie Forshaw scuffed his effort wide.

The hosts were now enjoying a fine spell and a double save by Garnham after 19 minutes denied Forshaw and Gordon before Sudbury’s best chance of the half came when Newby unleashed a shot from distance that was well saved by home keeper Elliott Pride.

Sudbury had the strong wind in their faces in the second half and they went on to enjoy plenty of possession without threatening to find a way past a sound defence.

Wroxham continued to look dangerous on the break and another fine save by Garnham denied Finch a second goal, but the Sudbury keeper had no chance when the speedy Gordon broke and unleashed an unstoppable shot to double Wroxham’s lead after 69 minutes.

Two minutes later, Sudbury had a great chance to reduce the deficit, but Terry Rymer’s close-range header was well saved by Pride.

From then on, the home side held on for a comfortable win to put a dent in Sudbury’s play-off hopes.

AFC Sudbury: Garnham, Robinson, Flynn, Wilkinson, Henshaw, Pope, Newby (Blackwell 63), Clarke, Rymer, S Kemp (Coley 54), Berquez. Unused subs: T Kemp, Guyton, Davidson.

Attendance: 159

Sudbury MoM: Marus Garnham. Yellow cards: Lee Flynn and Ryan Henshaw (tackles).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More