Sudbury could get a
reprieve just weeks 
before new season

Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

Sudbury’s cricketers could make a surprise return to the East Anglian Premier League (EAPL) this year after it was announced Clacton had withdrawn.

Following a financial settlement with Her Majesty’s Revenues and Customs (HMRC), Clacton advised the EAPL they would not be able to financially meet their obligations as a member of the league.

Andy Abbott, honorary secretary of the EAPL, said themselves and the Marshall Hatchick Two Counties Championship — the league Sudbury had been relegated to — were ‘considering all options’.

Roger Troughton, chairman of Sudbury Cricket Club, said: “It’s down to the EAPL and the Two Counties League to decide what to do.

“We are sorry Clacton have found themselves in this position.”

The EAPL’s league management committee will meet on February 27, after which a further statement will be issued.

Jonathan Phillips, a first-team player at Sudbury for almost two decades, has taken over the captaincy from Darren Batch for 2014.

Although they have lost wicketkeeper Adam Mansfield to rivals Bury St Edmunds, they have brought in former Woolpit captain Mike Jones as club pro and coach.