Smith demands play-off charge

editorial image
0
Have your say

IT’S now or never for AFC Sudbury’s play-off charge as the Yellows face a run of games set to define their season.

Four successive matches in February, against teams all vying with AFC for the top five, will either see their promotion push fully ignite or lamely flicker out.

But Sudbury boss Nicky Smith is in buoyant mood after watching his side smash six past Potters Bar Town to leapfrog the Londoners before adding Celtic summer trialist Dubi Ogbonna to his depleted strikeforce.

The 19-year-old Nigerian-born forward, as linked with AFC in last week’s Free Press, signed from Soham Town Rangers on a non-contract basis until the end of the season on Sunday.

“He is a proven goalscorer, he is only young and was third top scorer in his league last year (Zamaretto League Divison One Central),” said Smith.

“He is a big, physical, quick lad who gives us a bit of pace behind.”

And the Sudbury boss cannot wait to pair him with the club’s current top scorer, James Baker, who is currently on the sidelines until around mid-March after undergoing knee surgery.

“I have always wanted a big-man small-man partnership. Dubi is not that small, but he adds a bit of pace and hopefully that will be a great combination for us,” he added.

But for now, Smith’s sights are firmly set on a run of fixtures, starting with 12th-placed Harlow Town - just five points behind Sudbury in 6th - at home on Saturday (3pm).

“If we can get a good result against them on Saturday it will put daylight between us.” said Smith.

“In February, we are playing teams all around us and it will be a crucial month with Enfield and Waltham Abbey the Saturday after and then Thamesmead Town.

“If we play anywhere like we did on Saturday, where we set our own standards, hopefully we can get on a good run.”