Ipswich Town sack Roy Keane

SUPPORTERS are waiting to find out who the next Ipswich Town manager is after Roy Keane was sacked following a run of results which has seen the Blues slide down the Championship table.

The club announced at a press conference on Friday lunchtime that Irishman Keane is no longer at the helm following seven defeats in Ipswich’s last nine league games.

Former Notts County manager Charlie McParland, part of Keane’s backroom staff, has been appointed caretaker manager and will be in charge of the team for the FA Cup third round tie at Chelsea.

Keane had been manager of Ipswich since April 2009, with his contract due to expire in the summer, a two-year period in which he had stated he would return the club to the Premier League.

But with the Blues languishing in 19th place in the Championship table, he has been relieved of his duties as manager.

Club owner Marcus Evans said in a statement: “I would like to put on record my thanks to Roy for his commitment to try and bring success to Ipswich Town Football Club during his time at Portman Road. I would like to wish him every success for the future.”

Chief executive Simon Clegg added: “Today is a sad day for me. I have enjoyed working with Roy over the past two seasons and I would like to thank him for his tremendous dedication and professionalism during that period. Regrettably though, we have not made the progress that we had all expected over the last 20 months and this season in particular, with the side slipping to 19th place in the Championship table.”

Giving her reaction to events at Portman Road, chairman of Ipswich Town Supporters’ Club, Liz Edwards, said: “No-one wanted Town’s form to be so poor that we would face a change of manager mid-season, but the simple fact is that the league table does not lie.

“Marcus Evans has shown huge patience with his first managerial signing - and showed a loyalty despite an awful start (and not so good finish) to last season. It feels as if there was no desire for change, until it was really quite clear that there was to be no turnaround in results.

“It is not just a matter of results - there has been little in recent performances to lift our spirits, and no consistency in either personnel or formation. The general feeling is that the nucleus of our squad should be good enough to see us in the top half of the league, but there have been too many unproven or poor transfers in, and too much reliance on loan signings who have either not been up to the mark or not stayed long enough to make an impact.”

She added: “The new manager will have a huge task on his hands, but he does have players to work with who have it in them to succeed in this league, and that is what we all will be hoping to see. I hope those fans who had turned their backs will now return to Portman Road and be part of a bright future for ITFC.”

Former Wignan and Derby County boss Paul Jewell has been tipped as the outright favourite by the bookies to be announced as Keane’s successor.