THE process of evicting travellers from an airfield will begin with a meeting today.
Traveller liaison officers from Suffolk County Council and members of Suffolk Police will meet later to discuss plans to remove a group of 20 travellers on Chilton airfield.
The group set up an illegal encampment on the land last Tuesday after leaving a site in Aubrey Drive, Sudbury.
Seven caravans and a range of vehicles, including pick-up trucks, had been stationed on the land, opposite a children’s play area, for nearly three weeks.
It took an eviction notice issued from Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’s Court to force the group to leave.
When they did finally move on, a clean-up operation was required to remove human waste and rubbish after angry complaints from nearby homeowners.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk County Council said the travellers had been monitored over the last week.
“A case conference is due to be held to discuss the unauthorised encampment today,” she said.