Supermarket must wait

A MEETING which looked set to decide the fate of future plans to build a new supermarket in Sudbury has been delayed.

Supermarket giant Sainsbury’s had been due to present its planning application to build on the site of the former William Armes factory in Cornard Road to a councillors last week.

But the date when the report will be heard has now been put back after Babergh District Council received fresh representations that the authority felt needed to be taken into account.

A council spokeswoman said: “The application is still under consideration.

“It was originally proposed to present the report to committee on May 25. However, in light of additional representations from third parties, which needed further consideration, it was necessary to delay the report.”

The proposals for the new store, which went on show to the public during a number of exhibitions last year, include a 300-space car park, new cycle park facilities and a drop-off bus service.

Dougal Hartley, Sainsbury’s development surveyor for the East of England, said he did not feel the plans would be hampered by the delay.

“We have liaised closely with the council since submitting our application in autumn 2010,” he said.

“We are hopeful of making the June 15 committee, when we look forward to demonstrating the proposed store’s benefits.”