Sudbury pub’s bid for extended hours is criticised

The Silkworm, Sudbury ANL-160616-174206001
The Silkworm, Sudbury ANL-160616-174206001
0
Have your say

An application to extend opening hours until 3.30am on bank holidays at The Silkworm in Sudbury has been heavily criticised by neighbouring residents.

Sudbury town councillors have also called for the application to Babergh District Council licensing committee to be turned down.

If successful the pub in East Street, Sudbury, would be allowed to open until 2.30am on Friday and Saturday and up to 3.30am on bank holidays and celebration days.

These include all of the patron saints days, Burns Night, Halloween, Valentines Day, Maundy Thursday, Bonfire Night and from Christmas Eve through to December 30.

The pub hopes to be able to serve alcohol up to 30 minutes before the closure as well as play recorded music.

Sudbury mayor Sue Ayres was one of those to write to Babergh to condemn the application.

“There are problems in Sudbury in this area due to excess drinking. I know our town pastors who work in this area would find their work even more difficult than it already is.”

Sudbury and Babergh councillor Jan Osborne said she strongly objected to the application.

“I feel the current 1.30am [license] is more than sufficient for the night time economy.

“It needs to be remembered that The Silkworm is in close proximity to residents.

“These people already suffer from considerable disturbance from the night club and The Silkworm when people leave and for this to continue beyond the current time would have a real impact on their quality of life.

“Over the past few years we have experienced a considerable upturn in anti-social behaviour leading to parked cars being vandalised and on two separate occasions four cars being burnt out.

Fellow councillors Simon Barrett and Adrian Osborne also sent in objections.

In its application The Silkworm said there were additional measures included to allow for the extended hours and staff would have extensive training on licensing objectives.

The company added that a number of temporary event notices for later hours had been operated without issue or negative impact.

It also said notices would be displayed requesting customers to leave quietly as the pub was in a residential area.

However, residents have objected to the plans.

Mrs S A Hall of Girling Street wrote in on behalf of five households on the road to object.

“We object on the grounds that the current noise levels, anti-social behaviour will be prolonged and the residents quality of living will be diminished.”

He added that the current licensing hours had been “thus far tolerable” but said any extension would be a step too far.

“Over the years noise levels have increased, especially during the early hours of the morning at weekends and also on bank holiday and special events,” he said.

“This is unacceptable to residents who wish to live their lives in some degree of privacy and peace.”

Roger and Jan Atkinson from East Street also raised some concerns. They did say they rarely heard noise from the bar areas and only general noise from the courtyard area, mainly during the summer months.

However, they objected to large numbers of bottles being thrown away at closing time as their property is just 20 metres from the pub and raised concerns about morning deliveries.