Sudbury garage owner convicted of rape of schoolgirls

Latest breaking news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest breaking news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
0
Have your say

A Sudbury garage owner has been convicted of a string of rape and sexual assault offences committed more than 25 years ago.

Today (November 5) a jury at Ipswich Crown Court found Trevor Wright guilty of five offences of rape and seven of sexual assault.

The 67-year-old, of Ballingdon Street, had already admitted six further offences of sexual assault involving the same three victims.

After the jury returned the guilty verdicts, Judge Martyn Levett told Wright that he would have to return to court later this month to be sentenced.

Until his next court appearance, Wright has been granted bail on condition that he surrenders his passport, does not enter any licensed premises and reports to Bury St Edmunds police station on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

During the trial the prosecution alleged that the 12 offences had been committed between 1977 and 1989 and involved three women who, at the time, were schoolgirls.

One rape is claimed to have taken place in a car belonging to a customer at Wright’s garage in Ballingdon Street.

Other offences were alleged to have taken place at a stables where Wright kept a horse and one sexual assault in a swimming pool in Devon while Wright was on holiday, said Andrew Thompson, prosecuting.

Giving evidence, Wright said that although he was “sex obsessed” and admitting rubbing himself against the girls for sexual gratification, he denied further assaults or committing rape.

Following his arrest, Wright had told police that he had been a heavy drinker and suffered from memory problems.

Giving evidence via a recorded interview, one of Wright’s alleged victims claimed that he had never used any form of contraception.