A DECISION to build a new supermarket in Sudbury has been delayed again.
It was believed Sainsbury’s planning application for a 30,000 square foot store on the former William Armes factory site in Cornard Road would go before Babergh District Council last week.
However, the application, which if granted would include a restaurant, 300-space car park and create 300 jobs, was not included on the development committee’s agenda.
Speaking ahead of the meeting, a council spokeswoman said: “The plans will be heard over the summer, but there is nothing on the agenda for Wednesday.”
The proposals have already been delayed once – in June – as the company looked to compile more information to supplement the application, which was originally submitted to Babergh in October 2010.
Last month, traders in Sudbury spoke out about their concerns regarding the development, with worries that independent shops would struggle to survive in the face of greater competition.
John McMillan, president of Sudbury’s Chamber of Commerce, said: “The chamber is very concerned about the impact this plan will have on our town centre – it could be horrendous for trade.”
The scheme also includes the creation of a 43-space cycle park and a bus drop-off service in the town.
Woodland to the rear of the development is expected to be handed over to the town council to manage as a wildlife area, with a £10,000 one-off payment being made by the supermarket to cover the cost of ongoing work.