Residents say no to more cuts at town’s fire station

Sudbury Fire Station ENGANL00120121114113448
Sudbury Fire Station ENGANL00120121114113448

Despite requests for the attendance of fire chiefs being turned down, the issue of cuts to Sudbury Fire Station was discussed at Tuesday’s Sudbury Town Council meeting.

Emotions were high, with passionate members of the public pleading with councillors to voice their concerns about the possible removal of the town’s second fire engine.

Sudbury mayor Jack Owen said the town was always at risk because of the number of wooden buildings, as seen in the recent fire.

He said: “Hopefully there will be some common sense and it won’t take much talking to realise that reducing what we’ve got already would put the people of Sudbury in a very dangerous position.”

Having been on the ‘B’ list during the last round of cuts, it is feared the latest round of savings will see the second engine removed to save money.

The council needs to save an estimated £1million from the county’s fire service.

Sudbury’s Suffolk county councillor John Sayers refused to be drawn on the issue until the proposed cuts had been announced.

This frustrated many of the members of public, which included several serving and former firefighters.

One former fireman Alan Humphreys said: “We all know what’s going ahead. It’s not a case of waiting it’s about doing something about it. We must not let it happen.”

The Suffolk County Council cabinet meeting to discuss and decide on the proposals takes place on November 10.

That evening Matthew Hicks, Suffolk County Council cabinet member for environment and public protection and Mark Hardingham, chief fire officer for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, will attend the town council meeting.

A firefighter in the public gallery warned: “While we only have rumour on what the cuts will be, at the last round of cuts every single proposal was passed.” He added people needed to voice their concerns now, before it was too late.