No charge for Jubilee street parties

THERE will be no charges for those wishing to hold a Diamond Jubilee street party this summer, Suffolk County Council has announced.

The authority has confirmed that there will be no costs for organisers to gain permission to close roads or be supplied with road closure and diversion signs.

Mark Bee, the county council’s leader, said the decision was made after listening to the views of the people in Suffolk.

“This is a huge national celebration and it is right that the county council plays its part in making it as easy as possible for people to organise street parties and other activities to commemorate this historic event,” Mr Bee said.

“I hope that this will encourage many more people to get involved and that the people of Suffolk have a fantastic time in whatever way they choose to celebrate.”

Previously, responsibility for approving street parties rested with district and borough councils, as well as the county council.

Last month, the county council announced that it was the only council responsible for all street party applications - making the process smoother for organisers seeking Special Events Orders through the authority’s website.

To ensure minimal impact on traffic flow, the county council is urging party organisers to consider celebrating in community areas such as recreation grounds, cul-de-sacs and ‘no through roads’.

Guy McGregor, the council’s portfolio holder for roads and transport, said: “These celebrations are a traditional part of community life and a good way to meet neighbours and make new friends.

“With the application process a lot simpler and with no costs for those organising a party, we are confident this will be a recipe for success.”

Celebrations will centre around an extended weekend from June 2 to June 5.

For more information visit www.suffolk.gov.uk/streetclosures.