More blocks ‘thrown from bridges’

A COMMUNITY warden has urged people to be vigilant after discovering more concrete blocks that he believes were thrown from bridges in Sudbury.

Andy Nunny discovered a second lot of slabs below footbridges running across Grenville Road and Acton Lane, off Springlands Way, on Tuesday morning.

The Free Press reported last week on concrete which appeared to have been thrown on to the road from the same locations.

“We found some on Thursday and Friday, and then some on Tuesday morning – there were nine in total,” said Mr Nunny. “It is obvious why they are there, people have been chucking them off the bridges.

“It looks pretty dangerous – if they get thrown off and hit a car it could cause a lot of damage. Hopefully nobody will get injured from this,” added Mr Nunny, who believes the concrete may have been stolen from nearby gardens.

He added that Sudbury’s community wardens would be keeping an eye out for any suspicious activity.

“We will be monitoring and patrolling the tops of the bridges – we all have to be vigilant,” said Mr Nunny.

A spokeswoman for Suffolk Police said that while no incidents of criminal damage or suspicious activity had been reported on the bridges, motorists should be aware of the dangers.

“Anyone who witnesses items being thrown from bridges on to a public highway or indeed at passing vehicles should call the police immediately,” she said.

“Incidents of this nature are taken very seriously by Suffolk Police and can cause considerable damage and have significant consequences.”

Anyone with information regarding incidents should call Suffolk Police on 101 or 999 in an emergency situation.