Man guilty of attacking girls

0
Have your say

A man has been convicted of indecent activity with two girls more than 30 years ago.

Kenneth Steele, 66, had denied the offences but was found guilty by a jury at Ipswich Crown Court on Thursday.

Steele, who was taken ill at the conclusion of the trial and is currently in hospital, is due to sentenced next month.

The jury found Steele guilty of indecency with a child and indecent assault on a girl, aged six or seven, and two offences of indecency with a child in relation to a seven-year-old girl. The offences are said to have taken place between 1976 and 1978.

The court heard that the offences took place at a house in Sudbury where Steele had at the time been living.

Prosecutor Matthew Gowen said Steele had indecently exposed himself to the girls and asked them to touch him indecently.

The jury heard that afterwards, Steele gave one girl a cherry-flavoured drink and the other girl some sweets.

Police were alerted to the offences by the girls last year.

Steele, of Dilbridge Road East, Colchester, claimed that he had never acted inappropriately and said he could not remember one of the girls, while he was certain he had never been alone at his house with the other girl.