Patients are to benefit from quicker diagnoses and an improved environment after the Friends of West Suffolk Hospital generously earmarked more than £75,000 to fund new equipment and upgrades.
The Friends have allocated a total of £77,583, which will be used to buy:
• ten infusion pumps to administer drugs and fluids to patients
• five specialist sensor pads which improve safety by alerting staff when patients at risk of a fall begin to move from their bed or chair
• replacement storage units and resuscitation bay dividers for the Emergency Department
• upgrades to the flooring, seating and curtains in the blood test waiting area
• improvements to the room where staff meet the relatives of patients who have passed away
In addition, the Friends have pledged £15,000 towards the cost of a bronchoscope, which is used to look into the lungs and can help diagnose conditions such as cancer.
Staff working in the department are raising the remaining £10,000 through a skydive and other activities.
Grant Greetham, chairman of the Friends, said: “We are delighted that the Friends have once again been able to support such a wide range of important projects to improve the experience which patients have at the hospital and the care they receive.
“We hope that this equipment will make a big difference, and would like to thank all of our supporters whose generosity has helped make these donations possible.”
Jan Bloomfield, executive director with responsibility for fundraising, said: “We are delighted that the Friends have agreed to fund these important pieces of equipment, and are incredibly grateful to them for their continued support.
“They work very hard on behalf of the hospital and their generosity makes a big difference to our patients.
“This new equipment will further improve safety and help with diagnoses, while the environmental upgrades will make the hospital even more welcoming. These things all play an important role in making sure everyone has the best possible experience when using their local hospital.”
Membership of the Friends costs £5 a year. Anyone who is interested in joining should contact voluntary services on 01284 713206. For more information about the work of the Friends and how you can donate, please visit www.friendsofwsh.org.uk