Former Sudbury charity boss Marion Blower, seriously injured in a fall at her home, is fighting back from breathing problems which threatened her life.
Mrs Blower, who worked as the manager at Sudbury Resource Centre, now called Sudbury Community Hub, for 17 years, was placed into an induced coma at hospital in Sheffield at the end of last month after she stopped breathing.
Her husband Bryn said his wife was showing signs of recovery and her breathing had improved in recent days.
“Marion has been struggling with her breathing and was due to have a minor operation to take her thyroid out, but doctors decided it was best to keep it in, as it was scar tissue causing the problem,” said Mr Blower.
“Last month she had a terrible chest infection and stopped breathing.
“She was sedated for three days and although she is still in intensive care she is getting better.”
Mrs Blower is in hospital receiving treatment for a fall at her Boxford home, which left her paralysed.
Along with Sudbury Town Council, the Free Press is raising money for a specially adapted electric wheelchair, which will make life easier for Mrs Blower when she can move into a bungalow in Cats Lane.
The wheelchair costs £8,600 and thanks to an anonymous donation this week, and £100 being handed into the council, the current total stands at £5,600.
On Saturday a craft fair will be held at Acton Village Hall in aid of the appeal and Sudbury charity Helping Hands.
The event, which starts at 1pm, has been organised by Jack Ingram and Sian Lawson, both 15, who are members of the charity’s youth committee.
“We hope to raise a lot of money for both causes,” said Jack. “We have worked really hard to organise the event and hope it will be a successful day and the community comes out to supports us.”