‘Lack of thought’ prompts objections to homes scheme

Latest environment news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest environment news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
0
Have your say

Residents and councillors renewed their concerns over the latest plans to build 43 new homes in Sudbury on Monday.

Sandhurst New Homes has submitted the propopsals, which include four business units, for land east of Brundon Lane and Bulmer Road.

An application with the same number of units in the same location was refused by Babergh District Council in June last year.

Speaking at Monday’s planning committee meeting, Sandy Lane Action Group chairman Edward Ward said: “We have asked repeatedly to meet with the developer but it seems to think it can do better if it doesn’t do so.”

Mr Ward, who said he was speaking on behalf of 70 residents in the area, added: “This is more or less the same application that went to Babergh last year.”

He said residents were concerned over safety issues as a result of additional traffic in Sandy Lane, which carries a number of lorries and trucks due to the nearby Total Butler oil depot and recycling centre.

“We have had lots of accidents and near misses,” said Mr Ward. “Children use that lane and there aren’t very good footpaths.”

Residents also said they wanted to see the homes set back from the road, and claimed the density of the development was too high and they were concerned about people parking in Sandy Lane.

Councillor Jack Owen said he thought the plans lacked imagination.

“We are desperately short of one and two-bedroom homes and Sandhurst isn’t offering us any,” he said.

“Not a great deal of thought has been put into this development at all.”

The committee recommended refusal based on concerns over the lack of affordable homes being provided, no safe play area for children, a range of highways, traffic and safety issues including, the orientation and layout of the buildings and risks of flooding.