Hadleigh bus service rises from the ashes

0
Have your say

A “CURFEW” which left people stranded in Hadleigh is set to be lifted after an axed bus service was reinstated.

Many residents were left in limbo after Suffolk County Council cut the number 90 bus from Hadleigh to Ipswich last year in a bid to reduce its public transport budget.

The decision meant there were no services after 6.15pm during the week and no buses on a Sunday – a situation that angered students, the elderly and those without cars.

More than 3,500 people signed a petition calling for the return of the service and presented it to the county council. On Thursday, the authority announced it would fund a new service running two buses every evening and four on Sundays.

Simon Wills, who organised the petition, said he was delighted the council had taken on board the feelings of residents.

“There was a curfew which began at 6pm in the evening and ran on Sundays and bank holidays,” said Mr Wills, from Station Road.

“It was quite shocking and I have already spoken to many people who are pleased the service is back on and I just hope there is enough take-up to keep it running.”

The new service, which will be run by Hadleigh Community Transport using a 16-seater bus, will run for an initial six months before being reviewed.

Guy McGregor, Suffolk county council’s portfolio holder for roads and transport, said: “We will give the service our best shot and try it out for six months before coming together to see how it is doing in February 2013.”

For the full story see this week’s Free Press.