A greedy cat is lucky to be alive after devouring a whole chicken carcass.
TC, whose name stands for ‘That Cat’, scoffed the remains while roaming the streets close to her home in Halstead.
But when she arrived back, her owners Emily and Lee Rayner were shocked to see her stomach had completely swollen up.
They took her to the vets where shocking x-ray images revealed the 140-gram chicken carcass was stuck in her gut.
Emily, 30, said: “She’s a bit of a scavenger. She came in the house and her tummy was swollen, we took her to the vets straight away.
“She had to have the carcass removed with part of her bowel.”
Vets at The Forge practice in Halstead, didn’t believe TC, who only weighs three kilos, was likely to survive the ordeal.
Vet Emily Nightingale examined TC and could immediately see there was something very drastically wrong.
She said: “She really was fighting for her life at that stage.
“Her tummy had begun to swell and was at dangerous risk of rupturing which would have been fatal.”
Miss Nightingale and her team spent two hours removing bones from TC’s insides, before showing the x-rays to a human bowel surgeon, who also couldn’t believe she would recover from the injuries.
Emily, who is now looking after TC back home, has had her since May when she and Lee moved into their home.
TC’s previous owners left her behind when they moved out, which is why Emily believes she had such an appetite.
Emily said: “She was left to her own devices after her previous owners moved house and left her.
“We think the face she was abandoned is why she is such a greedy pig.
“We didn’t think she was going to get through this as there was so much going against her.
“They didn’t know if she was able to go back on a normal diet, but she was discharged from the vets on Friday- it’s a total miracle.
“TC is a little Christmas miracle cat. It was touch and go for a little while but she’s a strong little girl.”
Miss Nightingale warned of the importance of making sure chicken and turkey bones are well wrapped up when they’re thrown out.
She added: “Although it’s hard to stop cats eating things they shouldn’t, TC’s narrow escape really highlights the importance if making sure all chicken bones are well wrapped up in the bin so that inquisitive cats and dogs can’t get at them.”