Electrical fire closes surgery

Latest news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

Latest news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

0
Have your say

A doctor’s surgery in Sudbury had to be evacuated after an electrical fire broke out on Saturday.

Doctors at Siam Surgery were in the middle of a flu clinic when a fire alarm sounded.

Patients and staff were evacuated to nearby Siam Gardens while they waited for fire crews to arrive.

Two fire engines from Sudbury attended the scene at around 10.20am.

A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said smoke was coming from the surgery’s electricity box.

“We tackled a small fire in the main electricity panel,” said the spokesman.

By 10.50am, the fire had been put out and within one hour the fire crews had left the scene.

No-one was injured in the fire but the flu clinic had to be abandoned, causing many patients to be turned away.

One of the surgery’s nurses, Sarah Tarrant, said: “We wish to apologise for any inconvenience to patients, and remind them that two further walk-in flu clinics will be held on Saturday, October 18, and October 25, between 8.30am and 11.30am.”

This is the second time in just over two years that fire crews have been called to Siam Surgery due to electrical fires.

In February 2012, firefighters were called to tackle a fire caused by the electrical box within the surgery.