Decision on paintball bid in Hadleigh

AFTER years of battling for permission to run a paintballing centre, the site’s owners are expecting a definitive answer on their plans next week.

Andrew Wright and his wife Julie have been running Gunsmoke Paintball in Hadleigh for eight years.

Last year, the couple were refused retrospective planning permission for the business in Benton Street after members of Babergh District Council’s development committee ruled the activities caused a general disturbance and damaged residential amenity.

On Wednesday, the proposals will once again go before councillors and Mr Wright, 36, said it was now make-or-break for the centre.

“We have been battling for years, but have been told we will be given a yes or no and that will be the end of it,” he said.

“We have passed everything that has been thrown at us and been approved by numerous organisations. Hopefully we will get the decision we are looking for.”

Mr Wright added that a petition in support of the centre had been signed by more than 2,000 people and the site was used by a range of groups from schools to the police.

Planning permission for the site, which puts on around 60 paintball events each year, has been recommended for approval.