Man, 74, cleared of sex assaults

Latest crime and court news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest crime and court news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

A man from Nayland has been acquitted of seven alleged offences of sexual assault against a child.

It took a jury of six men and six women at Ipswich Crown Court just over nine hours to find Thomas Gibbons not guilty of the offences on Thursday.

After being told that the jury had been unable to reach verdicts on seven other similar charges, Judge David Goodin discharged them.

Nicola May, prosecuting, said a decision on whether to apply for a retrial of Gibbons on the outstanding seven offences would be made by the Crown Prosecution Service.

Gibbons, 74, of Bures Road, had pleaded not guilty to six offences of sexual assault on a girl aged under 13, and eight offences of sexual assault on a second girl, also aged under 13.

The prosecution alleged that the offences were committed between 2005 and 2012.

During the trial, the jury saw recorded interviews with both of the girls who had made the allegations.

Judge Goodin told Gibbons that he would continue to be granted bail until his next court appearance.