A WOMAN has narrowly avoided a jail term after continuing to drive despite being disqualified and having no insurance.
Lisa Munden, from Lynns Hall Close in Great Waldingfield, admitted charges of driving when banned and driving without insurance at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The court heard that Munden had been disqualified from driving for 16 months at a court in Northampton in the summer, but continued to drive despite the conviction.
Emma Howson, prosecuting, told magistrates the 36-year-old was first caught after visiting Bury Police Station on August 8 to report a collision involving her Renault Scenic, in which another vehicle had failed to stop.
“The defendant admitted driving her car and an officer saw her leave the station and drive away,” said Mrs Howson.
She added that Munden was then spotted by a police officer driving her car in Acton Lane, Sudbury, on November 17 and, when spotted, admitted she was a disqualified driver.
“She said she had no option but to drive as she could not rely on the bus for work or the school run,” said Mrs Howson.
In mitigation, Andrew Spence said there was no getting away from the fact his client’s disqualification had been recently imposed and was flouted in quick succession.
Chairman of the Bench, Richard Kemp, said that due to the “seriousness” of the offence he would be seeking no lower than a custodial sentence.
However, after deliberating with his fellow magistrates, Mr Kemp imposed an eight-week prison sentence, suspended for a year.
Munden was also made the subject of a 12-month community supervision order.