Council to rule on 26-homes proposal

Latest community news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

Latest community news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

0
Have your say

A decision on plans to build 26 new homes in Sudbury will be taken next week.

Bloor Homes wants to develop a two-and-a-quarter acre site, which is part of a large garden of a house called High Banks in Melford Road.

The proposal was discussed by Sudbury Town Council last month and was supported, despite residents’ concerns over access.

Now Babergh District Council will consider the proposal on Wednesday and officers are recommending it for approval, subject to the completion of a section 106 agreement – money paid by a developer to offset the impact of the scheme.

Consisting of 26 homes, including nine affordable homes, the plan is to build four one-bedroom flats, one two-bedroom bungalow, four two-bedroom houses, one three-bedroom house and 16 four-bedroom houses. A total of 59 parking spaces will be provided.

In a report to the committee, case officer Graham Chamberlain said the homes will have an arts and crafts appearance, reflecting the fact that High Banks is a large house built in the arts and crafts style, a design period which flourished in Britain between 1860 and 1910.

He said the main house was not listed but was considered a heritage asset.

Seven letters objecting to the proposal have been received, raising concerns about increased traffic in Clermont Avenue and about the loss of more than 50 trees.

“The impact on trees within the site has been a significant constraint in identifying an acceptable layout,” said Mr Chamberlain.

A number of Iron Age coins have been found near the site and the report to the planning committee says conditions should be attached to the planning application, if approved, to ensure any artefacts found as a result of the development should be identified and recorded and not destroyed.