Council objects to hotel scheme

Latest news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

A parish council has raised concerns over a planning application by a hotel to build an extension on a 16th century listed building.

The application – made by Hintlesham Hall Hotel – would see a modern addition to the orangery building, which lies around 100 metres north of the Grade I listed main building.

The orangery predates 1948 and is therefore also considered a curtilage listed building.

The plan details the proposal to add a two-storey extension to the existing orangery to create 11 self-catering suites.

Hintlesham and Chattisham Parish Council has lodged an objection to the scheme after it was discussed at a meeting last month.

Council clerk Samantha Barber said councillors were mainly concerned about the proposals to develop the building because of its listed status.

“The main focus is that the council is objecting to any new development on such a sensitive building,” she said.

Councillors also had concerns over some of the paperwork accompanying the application, describing the documentation as “flawed, misleading and in some cases contradictory”.

Mrs Barber added: “The forms that had been filled in for the plan seem to be misleading, with differing information on different forms.”

The plans will be discussed by Babergh District Council’s planning committee on Wednesday.

In 2007, a similar application to build a two-storey extension to the orangery was refused by the district council.

Businessman Has Modi took sole ownership of the hall in 2012, when he began an extensive refurbishment.