Cats saved from house fire

Firefighters rescued three cats from a burning house in Sudbury after breaking down the front door.

The fire, which is thought to have started in a tumble dryer, broke out in Mountbatten Road on Sunday at 3.30pm.

Fire crews from Sudbury and Long Melford attended the blaze after being alerted by a neighbour who heard a fire alarm. No-one was in the house at the time.

A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said crews had to break down the front door to get inside the property.

“Crews from Sudbury arrived on the scene first and called for further assistance from Long Melford after finding the kitchen well alight,” he said.

“Fortunately, no-one was in the house during the fire, but three cats were rescued. Two were handed over to a vet for treatment.”

The spokesman added that the fire highlighted the importance of having a smoke alarm.

“Neighbours alerted the fire service to the blaze when they heard smoke detectors going off,” he said.

“This shows how crucial it is to have fitted and working smoke detectors.”

The fire was put out by 4.20pm, with crews remaining at the scene for a further hour.