Cast issues hit panto

FEARS that a Christmas pantomime had been cancelled – in a move that could have had serious repercussions for the future of a theatre – have been quashed.

On Monday, the Free Press received an anonymous call claiming that Sudbury’s Quay Theatre, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, had been forced to axe its popular Christmas pantomime.

However, Simon Frampton, the venue’s Film Club manager, said the rumours were untrue and the pantomime had not been cancelled, but simply scaled back.

“The pantomime will run from December 16 until Boxing Day,” he said.

“This is not due to money but simply because the Sudbury Dramatic Society couldn’t get enough numbers to keep the panto going any longer.”

Babes in the Wood had been due to run until January 2, but with two separate casts needed to complete the number of dates, the post-Christmas shows have been dropped.

A joint statement released on Tuesday by the theatre and the society confirmed the dates for this year’s pantomime had been revised, due to “cast issues”, and the run would end on December 26 with a 3pm performance.

“We hope that our valued and loyal clientele will not be inconvenienced by these changes,” the statement said.

To book tickets, contact the box office on 01787 374745.