Accident train still not fixed

0
Have your say

THE train involved in the Little Cornard rail crash has still not been repaired – more than a year after the accident.

The two-carriage National Express train was badly damaged after being hit by a 44-tonne sewage tanker on an unmanned level crossing off Bures Road on August 17 last year.

As a result of the impact, the front carriage of the train, which was travelling from Sudbury to Marks Tey, derailed and the tanker was ripped in half.

Following the collision, National Express East Anglia ran out of local trains to use on the tracks and drafted in two 50-year-old locomotives to haul carriages.

This month, two replacement trains hired from Arriva Wales will take over, but there is still no sign of a return for the damaged train, which the operator says suffered serious damage to its chassis.

Peter Meades, from National Express East Anglia, said “extensive” repairs had been ongoing for more than six months.

“We have had to go through the proper process to get the repairs done and, because of the extent of the damage, this has taken some time,” he said.

“They have had to rebuild a lot of the underframe and although one of the vehicles is finished, the other is still being worked on.”

Mr Meades added that as soon as the repairs were complete the train would be restored to passenger use, but he did not know when this would be.

For the full story see last week’s Free Press.